America's Champion Swimmer - Gertrude Ederle
Question of the week: What unique traits does it take to be the first to do something?
Comprehension Skill: Fact and Opinion
Comprehension Strategy: Questioning
This weeks vocabulary words:
1. drowned: died by suffocating underwater
2. strokes: combinations of arm and leg movements used in swimming
3. stirred: moved about
4. medals: flat pieces of metal, often shaped like a coin or attached to a ribbon, given as rewards
5. continued: went on without stopping
6. celebrate: observe or honor something special with ceremonies and activities
7. current: part of a body of water that is moving along in a path
Writing: In your journal or on a piece of notebook paper, choose one activity for each day of the week.